Thursday, November 27, 2008

Ways of Changing the Brain

I read newsletter Brain in the News or Brain-work the other day. I have the habit to read as many newsletter as I can. It's not only that it is very easy to read, but that's also a way to learn something new in a fast way. Because, newsletter usually elaborate everything in a short and simple way. So in the past if you visit my place, you will see that I have a lot of subscription as many newsletter.  Not anymore now, everything is online. Harvard Heart letter, Nutrition, and many more including Brain-work and Brain in the news are easier to be read on line. But if I have subscriptions for Brain in the News or Brain-work, those are the Neuroscience Newsletter don't ever refer that I have interested in anything about neuroscience or having a special interest because I know person on that fields. My main purpose is just to enhance my knowledge about anything. And sometime it helps me to understand others as well. Just like what I have read recently. That not so long ago, a scientists used to view the brain as a form of concrete-soft and easily shaped in youth, but gradually hardening over the years into a rigid organ highly resistant to change.

(Is this why I always hear people give this kind of advice 'never have the intention or think that you can change somebody' ???)


A Child's brain certainly displays vigorous neuroplasticity. For example, children can absorb a foreign language far more easily than adults, and they can speak it without an accent if they start speaking it before their late teens.

( Everybody knows about this. And I know very well too, that's how my son speaks English better than me and with the right accent)

But scientist now recognize that the brain remains surprisingly plastic and resilient throughout life, which creates opportunities for adults to make possible changes in their neural connections through a focus attention and practice.
"Neurology, Psychology, speech therapy, education, sports, music, all this domains will be improved as we apply the law of neuroplasticity.
That was stated by Norman Doidge author of 'The Brain That Changes Itself. 

With fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) scientist can reveals areas in the right and left hemispheres that are much active in good readers than in poor readers.
Even though until now, the evidence attributing such dramatic changes to neuroplasticity has been largely circumstantial, but fMRI is producing vivid images that show neuroplasticity in action.

In the future maybe the neuroplasticity can be used to develop effective remedial reading program for children with dislexia I think, to improve memory, attention, processing speed sequencing skills which are vital to all learning.

The wisdom of  brain plasticity, MODIFICATIONS ARE NOT LIMITED TO CHILDREN.


No comments: